Monday, March 29, 2010

Dio, Dokken, Iron Maiden

So, after a two-week hiatus that was spurred by March Break for my son, and an absolute mess of work-related issues, I've finally returned. And today, I've decided to return with a visit to the world of metal.

My intention is to make Monday into Metal day. We'll see if I can keep the content up.


Rather than getting into a modern branch of metal, today I decided to go with the roots of the genre. Not specifically to say that these bands invented it. Arguably you could say that Led Zeppelin got the ball rolling on that whole thing. But these bands really don't have an awful lot in common with the almighty Zep.


DIO: "HOLY DIVER"


Before the advent of Guitar Hero, this song had basically been forgotten by all except for those who still carried the metal torch from the early 80's. The reality is that this song is far too good to have been left behind.

Ronnie James Dio was actually a pretty big star. He replaced Ozzy in Black Sabbath, and the first Dio album is a total front-to-backer. Not one piece of filler on that thing. Obviously this song is the most well known from it, and rightly so.

Please pay close attention to the excessive use of broadswords, battleaxes, and green-screened fire. Also, Ronnie James Dio looks like a fucking hobo.



DOKKEN: "KISS OF DEATH"


Not nearly as well known as some of their contemporaries, this song is an iPod must. Besides containing nearly every torn-down metal trick in the book, this song contains what I believe to be the most excessive use of pinch harmonics this side of anything Zakk Wylde has ever played on.



IRON MAIDEN: "ACES HIGH"


Rather than choosing a more well known Iron Maiden song (2 Minutes 2 Midnight, The Trooper, Number Of The Beast, Wrathchild), I decided instead to go with my favorite Iron Maiden song, from 1984's classic Powerslave, this is Aces High.

I've included Iron Maiden in honor of the fact that I believe they are playing at the Ottawa Bluesfest this year. I haven't seen official confirmation of that yet, but I'm praying that it's true.

I'm not sure if this is the official music video for the song. It seems to match up pretty good, so I'm going to assume that it is.

Incidentally, there is a hilarious video on youtube of a deaf guy singing this song. You should look it up, it's ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment